Information for parents
There is no better way to help a child than to inspire them, and an unforgettable residential trip can do just that. It can offer a wonderful opportunity to open minds and nurture potential, to teach life skills, build confidence and create a better understanding of the world. Spending time away from home can also offer young people a chance to embrace adventure and take calculated risks, face new challenges, build self-esteem and make lifelong friends along the way.
This section includes useful information and handy guides for parents to give peace of mind that their child is in safe hands and to help both parent and child prepare for the trip.
What is Kingswood?
Kingswood is one of the most experienced providers of outdoor education in the UK. Founded over 30 years ago, we run over 1.2 million activity sessions each year. We now welcome over 165,000 young people from more than 75 countries around the world annually.
Combining educational programmes, challenging adventure activities and fun evening entertainment (with the added camaraderie of overnight stays and an experience shared), we offer an unforgettable life-changing adventure in a safe, controlled and nurturing environment. With each of our 9 UK centres and our Château in France offering stunning locations, a wide range of facilities and exceptional standards of care, safety and guidance from our friendly, highly trained team, we’re confident that not only can we provide an amazing experience for your child, we can also offer complete peace of mind for you too.
Find out more about who we are and what we do
A home away from home
A residential experience with us is all inclusive. Your child will enjoy tasty and nutritious meals in our diners to keep them going throughout their action-packed itinerary; we serve three hot meals each day with plenty of variety available. You’ll find welcoming rooms in our comfortable dormitory style accommodation, which has bathroom facilities and a daily housekeeping check.
Tasty, healthy food
We have spent time this year reviewing, discussing and tasting our menus to ensure they give a balanced variety of dishes and have a wide appeal for hungry tummies. On our residentials, you'll enjoy tasty and nutritious meals in our diners to keep your young adventurers going throughout their action packed itinerary. We serve three freshly prepared, healthy, buffet style meals each day, with plenty of variety available - including hot and cold meals, a salad bar, at least one vegetarian option and plenty of water available at all times. We can also cater for most dietary requirements, which we'll ask you to let us know about before your trip.
Click here to view our sample menu
Peace of mind
Safety and staff
- All Kingswood staff are vetted, inducted and trained to the highest levels
- All staff complete a comprehensive induction programme that includes safeguarding training
- Throughout their employment with Kingswood all staff are monitored to ensure compliance with our health & safety procedures
- All activities have rapid access to first aid trained staff and facilities
- Instructors are trained to recognise each individual child’s own capabilities & teach to his/her individual level & pace
- All staff wear identification badges and uniforms at all times, with all visitors and teachers required to wear a security badge
Safety and standards
- Every Kingswood centre is independently inspected by the British Activity Providers Association (BAPA)
- We also conduct rigorous internal health and safety audits
- We operate comprehensive risk assessments on all activities
- We are fully responsible for all emergency procedures, safety systems and security arrangements at each centre
Safety and supervision
- For most activities children are placed into groups of no more than 15
- Our strict supervision policy ensures that children are always accompanied by Kingswood instructors. Between 9.00 pm and 9.00 am and at meal and break times they are supervised by their teachers. Teachers are in loco parentis throughout the visit
- Kingswood campuses have secure and clearly defined boundaries. Some centres have CCTV in operation
- Teacher rooms are situated close to their students
- The Kingswood Duty Manager and first-aiders are on call 24 hours a day
Safeguarding and wellbeing
Kingswood creates and maintains an inspiring and adventurous environment that allows us to have a positive impact on the lives of young people, whilst protecting them from harm.
Find out about our safeguarding policy and the steps we take to ensure the wellbeing of young people below.
View our safeguarding information here
Please use the following checklist to help pack bags:
(please put your child’s name on all items of clothing)
- One swimming towel and costume (where required)
- One bath towel
- Toiletries bag containing: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, hairbrush etc
- Night clothes
- Socks and underwear
- Four t-shirts, shirts, blouses (at least one with long-sleeves), sweatshirt (two in winter)
- One thick sweater plus one light sweater
- Three pairs of trousers and/or jeans and/or tracksuit bottoms
- Clothes for the evening activities
- Waterproof jacket (and trousers if you have them)
- Sturdy shoes or wellingtons (even in summer)
- Two pairs of trainers (one old pair)
- Large plastic bag for dirty clothes
- Gloves, hat, scarf (in winter)
- Water bottle
- Hat and sunscreen (in spring and summer)
- Rucksack for off site studies (if applicable)
*Please note that most activities require long sleeves. Please note:
Do not bring: Mobile phones, expensive cameras, electronic games, iPods or MP3 players, expensive or much cherished jewellery, expensive favourite clothing or shoes. Kingswood can’t accept liability for the loss, theft or damage of any personal property your child may bring.