Information for parents
There is no better way to help a child than to inspire them, and an unforgettable residential trip can do just that. It can offer a wonderful opportunity to open minds and nurture potential, to teach life skills, build confidence and create a better understanding of the world. Spending time away from home can also offer young people a chance to embrace adventure and take calculated risks, face new challenges, build self-esteem and make lifelong friends along the way.
This section includes useful information and handy guides for parents to give peace of mind that their child is in safe hands and to help both parent and child prepare for the trip.
What is Kingswood?
Kingswood is one of the most experienced providers of outdoor education in the UK. Founded over 30 years ago, we run over 1.2 million activity sessions each year. We now welcome over 165,000 young people from more than 75 countries around the world annually.
Combining educational programmes, challenging adventure activities and fun evening entertainment (with the added camaraderie of overnight stays and an experience shared), we offer an unforgettable life-changing adventure in a safe, controlled and nurturing environment. With each of our 9 UK centres and our Château in France offering stunning locations, a wide range of facilities and exceptional standards of care, safety and guidance from our friendly, highly trained team, we’re confident that not only can we provide an amazing experience for your child, we can also offer complete peace of mind for you too.
Find out more about who we are and what we do
Essential documents for parents
At Kingswood, we’re here to help make planning for your child’s residential as simple as possible.
That’s why we’ve pulled together everything you might need, from packing lists to saving cards, into downloadable print outs so that you can plan ahead, stick reminders on your fridge and feel prepared ahead of when your child leaves for their Kingswood adventure.
Getting ready to pack? Download our essential packing list
Paying in instalments? Download our savings card
Need everything in one place? Download our parent guide
“It's been an amazing experience for our girls. Everything about the trip has been superb - but especially the staff”
“Memories made, fears conquered, friendships created!”
“Fantastic for the children, it's like they have grown a foot taller in a week. Quiet and shy children have come out of themselves and confident children have developed leadership and group work skills.”
“The zipwire was the best as Tara encouraged us to try different things such as falling backwards. My best moment was team building and coming up with successful strategies.”
“A fun, hands on experience for children that allows them to have freedom and take risks but in a safe environment.”
“The children have a great time. They get the opportunity to do lots of new things. There is an emphasis on teamwork and challenging yourself.”
“Everyone leaves the centre a little prouder, braver and more challenged.”
“3G was the best activity because I went up to the highest point and it was good adrenaline. My best moment was the high equilibrium because I conquered my fears. I like that all the instructors were supportive.”
A home away from home
A residential experience with us is all inclusive. Your child will enjoy tasty and nutritious meals in our dinners to keep them going throughout their action-packed itinerary and will rest up in dormitory-style accommodation.
We take allergens very seriously at Kingswood, please find our nut allergy policy here.
Comfy and clean accommodation
Your child will find welcoming rooms in our dormitory style accommodation, which has a daily housekeeping check to ensure everything stays clean and comfortable.
All dormitories are gender separated and house 2 to 16 in bunk beds where clean duvets and pillows are all provided. Some rooms are en-suite but there are always separate toilet and shower facilities for guests close to dormitories.
Tasty, healthy food
We have spent time reviewing, discussing and tasting our menus to ensure they give a balanced variety of nutritious dishes and have a wide appeal for hungry tummies.
To keep our young adventurers going during their packed itinerary, we serve three freshly prepared, healthy, buffet style meals each day, with plenty of variety available - including hot and cold meals, a salad bar and plenty of water available at all times. We can also cater for most faith and dietary requirements, which we'll ask party organisers about before your child arrives on centre.
Click here to view our sample menu
Peace of mind
Safety and staff
- All Kingswood staff are vetted, inducted and trained to the highest levels
- All staff complete a comprehensive induction programme that includes safeguarding training
- Throughout their employment with Kingswood all staff are monitored to ensure compliance with our health & safety procedures
- All activities have rapid access to first aid trained staff and facilities
- Instructors are trained to recognise each individual child’s own capabilities & teach to his/her individual level & pace
- All staff wear identification badges and uniforms at all times, with all visitors and teachers required to wear a security badge
Safety and standards
- Every Kingswood centre is independently inspected by the British Activity Providers Association (BAPA)
- We also conduct rigorous internal health and safety audits
- We operate comprehensive risk assessments on all activities
- We are fully responsible for all emergency procedures, safety systems and security arrangements at each centre
Safety and supervision
- For most activities children are placed into groups of no more than 15
- Our strict supervision policy ensures that children are always accompanied by Kingswood instructors. Between 9.00 pm and 9.00 am and at meal and break times they are supervised by their teachers. Teachers are in loco parentis throughout the visit
- Kingswood campuses have secure and clearly defined boundaries. Some centres have CCTV in operation
- Teacher and party leader rooms are situated close to their students
- The Kingswood Duty Manager and first-aiders are on call 24 hours a day
Safeguarding and wellbeing
Kingswood creates and maintains an inspiring and adventurous environment that allows us to have a positive impact on the lives of young people, whilst protecting them from harm.
Find out about our safeguarding policy and the steps we take to ensure the wellbeing of young people below.
View our safeguarding information here
Kingswood in the school holidays
Did you know your child can experience all the fun of Kingswood in the school holidays through our summer camps, day camps and family adventures!
Kids only adventure holidays at five fantastic Kingswood centres.